- Last Updated on Wednesday, 07 September 2011 11:01
Prince of Peace Lutheran is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). What we believe may be summarized as follows:
What we believe in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America· This church confesses the Triune God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
· This church confesses Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and the Gospel as the power of God for the salvation of all who believe
· Jesus Christ is the Word of God incarnate, through whom everything was made and through whose life, death, and resurrection God fashions a new creation.
· The proclamation of God's message to us as both Law and Gospel is the Word of God, revealing judgment and mercy through word and deed, beginning with the Word in creation, continuing in the history of Israel, and centering in all its fullness in the person and work of Jesus Christ.
· The canonical Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are the written Word of God. Inspired by God's Spirit speaking through their authors, they record and announce God's revelation centering in Jesus Christ. Through them God's Spirit speaks to us to create and sustain Christian faith and fellowship for service in the world.
· This church accepts the canonical Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments as the inspired Word of God and the authoritative source and norm of its proclamation, faith, and life.
· This church accepts the Apostles', Nicene, and Athanasian Creeds as true declarations of the faith of this church.
· This church accepts the Unaltered Augsburg Confession as a true witness to the Gospel, acknowledging as one with it. In faith and doctrine all churches that likewise accept the teachings of the Unaltered Augsburg Confession.
· This church accepts the other confessional writings in the Book of Concord, namely, the Apology of the Augsburg Confession, the Smalcald Articles and the Treatise, the Small Catechism, the Large Catechism, and the Formula of Concord, as further valid interpretations of the faith of the Church.
· This church confesses the Gospel, recorded in the Holy Scriptures and confessed in the ecumenical creeds and Lutheran confessional writings, as the power of God to create and sustain the Church for God's mission in the world.
This and other information on the ELCA may be found at www.elca.org
* * * * * *
In addition, at Prince of Peace our emphases may be summed up by our purpose statement: “Claimed by grace, we seek to welcome all, worship joyfully, grow spiritually, and share God’s love.”
“Claimed by Grace...” All that we are and all that we do is built upon the free gift of God's love, forgiveness and salvation given to us through the death and resurrection of God's Son, Jesus which frees us from the power of sin and death. This we receive in faith, itself a gift from God's Holy Spirit. God's love and acceptance in Jesus is unconditional. God's grace transforms our lives with the power of God's love.
“We Seek to...” Out of pure thankfulness to God we seek to respond. How can we thank God? By loving God with our heart, soul, strength, and mind; and by loving our neighbors as ourselves. Our faith seeks expression. The following phrases summarize how we at Prince of Peace seek to express our faith-filled thankfulness.
“Welcome All...” As Jesus has welcomed us in love we welcome all in response. You presence among is valued and celebrated. We want to get to know you. We want walk with you in your journey. We want to share in your joys and in your trials. All are welcomed to receive Holy Communion. There are no litmus tests at Prince of Peace.
“Worship Joyfully...” Laughter, Creativity, Informality, Smiles, Melody, are words that mark our worship services. Our hope is that our services are a time to celebrate God's presence among us and our love of God and of one another.
“Grow Spiritually...” Jesus called his disciples to follow him, and also to learn from him. Ministries of learning and growing are found Sunday mornings, week days and week nights. We seek to provide an opportunity for everyone (all ages, all learning styles and all backgrounds) to grow.
“And Share God's Love” One of our strengths throughout our history has been in reaching out to share the love of God with those who are hurting. Prince of Peace offers opportunities to give and serve locally, around the nation and around the world. We share the good news of God’s love in a no0n-threatening way through the Alpha Course and related ministries; and offer a loving Christian care to those who are hurting through Stephen Ministries.